food banner

food banner

Saturday 7 June 2014

Summer teatime: Plum jam & Scones

The downside of loving food is eating too much of it! I've been on a diet lately hence not posting in a while.

Today I had a basket of juicy black plums. To be honest I'm not keen on eating plums, but I love plum jam. And what's the best use for plum jam? Scones! A perfect teatime treat for a summer's day.

I was always rather afraid of jam making, it always seemed mysterious and complicated. But once I started, I discovered how easy it is once you summon up the courage.

My tips are, get a sugar thermometer, and make sure you keep stirring so it doesn't burn on the bottom! Jam tends to bubble and splash when cooking, so I recommend using a large pan that's only a third full to minimise mess. Rubber gloves also protect your hands from sugar splashes!

Plum Jam

Jam uses roughly equal amounts of fruit and sugar. I always try to use less sugar (say 60/40), but it just makes it trickier to set.

  • 750g plums, chopped and stoned
  • 750g sugar
  • 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 100 ml water
  1. Add the fruit, juice and water to a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for half an hour or so until the fruit is cooked.
  2. Take off the heat, and stir in the sugar until it dissolves.
  3. Return to the heat and crank up to maximum. I have a sugar thermometer which hangs on the side of my pan so you can always see the temperature.
  4. Stir gently every so often so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
  5. Keep checking the temperature. When it rises to 104C, that's the "setting point" at which it turns into jam.
  6. To test whether it's set, the traditional method is to put a couple of saucers into the freezer. Drop a small dribble onto a cold plate and poke it with your finger. If it "wrinkles" or just feels jelly-like, it's set. If it stays runny, you need to cook for longer.
  7. Once it's reached setting point, take off the heat. Leave to cool for a few minutes. It will thicken as it cools so don't worry if it still seems runny, but if it's very thick while it's still hot, you might want to add a splash of water from the kettle.
  8. Pour into sterilised jam jars. I always label my jars so I remember what they are and when I made them!

Scones

Scones are one of my store-cupboard staples. If I was a glamorous housewife I could claim I only make them when unexpected guests pop by, but the truth is I make them for myself because they're so quick! I tend to leave out butter but add 50g for more indulgent scones. Serve them with butter and/or clotted cream for full-fat luxury, or just with greek yoghurt for those watching their waistline!

  • 225g self raising flour 
  • (or, 225g plain flour plus 1.5 tsp baking powder)
  • 150 milk
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Handful of dried fruit (optional)
  1. Mix it all together in a bowl.
  2. Bring together into dough, you just want to mix it so everything is incorporate into a ball.
  3. Preheat your oven to 220C.
  4. Transfer to a floured surface, and roll so that it's an inch or more thick.
  5. I'm greedy and like big scones so I use a large pastry cutter to make 4 scones. A smaller one should make 6, or 8 for bite-sized ones.
  6. Punch the cutter straight down, trying not to twist the sides.
  7. Pop each one onto a baking tray. You can leave them plain or glaze with milk.
  8. Whack into the hot oven and cook for 15 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment